Tempered or laminated glass must be used in the following locations:
- Glazing in all doors.
- Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any portion of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches above a standing surface and drain inlet.
- Glazing adjacent to a door where the nearest exposed edge of the glazing is within a 24- inch arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position and where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60- inches above the walking surface.
EXCEPTION: Tempered is not required when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier located between the door and the glazing.
- Glazing in fixed or operable panels, other than those locations described in items 2 and 3 above, that meets all of the following conditions:
- Exposed area of an individual pane greater than 9 square feet.
- Exposed bottom edge less than 18 inches above the floor.
- Exposed top edge greater than 36 inches above the floor.
- One or more walking surfaces within 36 inches horizontally of the plane of the glazing.
EXCEPTION: Tempered is not required when a protective bar is installed on the accessible sides of the glazing 34 inches to 38 inches above the floor. The bar shall be capable of withstanding a horizontal load of 50 pounds per linear foot without contacting the glass and be a minimum of 1-1/2 inches in height.
- Glazing in any hand railing regardless of height above a walking surface.
- Glazing in walls and fences used as the barrier for indoor and outdoor swimming pools and spas when all of the following conditions are present:
- The bottom edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches above the pool side of the glazing.
- The glazing is within 5 feet of a swimming pool or spa deck area.
- Glazing in walls enclosing stairway landings or within 5 feet of the bottom and top of stairways where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 60 inches above a walking surface.